Damaged teeth, with caries even from the first years of life? This material is for you, for those who are already running to dentists or planning it. Dr. Alina Mighic, orthodontist, answered some of the most pressing questions that we asked parents of younger children.
Causes of teeth breakdown in young children
“The appearance of caries in children is the result of the activity of the microflora of the oral cavity, and the oral cavity is a humid environment with a favorable temperature. The development of caries is also due to numerous factors: inadequate nutrition (rich in sugar (yes, yes, sweets) and carbohydrates); Improper or nonexistent oral hygiene (from an early age), sleeping with a bottle (with juice, tea, milk and muffins, anything else with flat water), and others. Dental caries in children often appears in places that are harder to clean, and without strict oral hygiene, we will not be able to reduce the activity of microorganisms, the dentist says.
Signs about the appearance of caries in a child
«A lot of parents have a good time in their lives. Naturally, they were put in a period of profound wounds, and in a period of time, and so the appearance of a ragged or bruised rabble, accusations of hurt of profane pretensions. Baby teeth typically dental caries, co-exist with the permanent teeth and the bacteria in the carious teeth, the temporary teeth can affect and ultimately destroy the permanent teeth, which is especially serious impact on the integrity of the dentition.This is the most important thing parents should know. This factor directly affects the health and quality of life of the child. In this regard, we can regularly visit the dentist to monitor the condition of the oral cavity», - recommends Alina Migic.
It is well known that most dental problems can be solved at least invasively and with minor pain that a child can carry at any age. There are serious problems with the teeth that require more time for treatment, but also more complex treatment. For them, but also for the peace and safety of the children in the dentist's chair, we spoke with an orthodontist who has extensive experience with babies.
General anesthesia in the treatment of teeth in children
General anesthesia is a safe procedure, without side effects, if performed strictly according to the rules. This is the last decision that we turn to in the case of dental treatment in a child when we have no alternative. General anesthesia is not without risk, but in some clinical situations without it we can not get rid of the problem.
For children of this age, General anesthesia is probably the only acceptable option, as children of this age do not understand the need for treatment and are not patient enough. Older children are more obedient and patient. But this difficulty can also arise if the child is hyperactive, extremely frightened or if he has certain feelings. The child can not be treated by force, because it can lead to serious psychological trauma. Analgesia or sedation is the best solution in this situation; they help these children to avoid stress and offer in the future easier to go to conventional treatment », - explains a dentist Alina Mighic.
Basic rules of dental hygiene
Alina Mighic, dentist orthodontist in the dental clinic "OmniDent", encourages children and their parents:
- For healthy teeth, in children, it would be nice to conduct daily dental hygiene. Thus, after the appearance of the first teeth, cleaning is done with light movements, so as not to damage the baby's gums.
- Water consumed immediately after eating, thoroughly clean the food residues in the baby's mouth.
- Strict cleaning begins after 2 years, when dental arches are formed, cleaning should be carried out with the first tooth after 6 months (or when it appears), with a brush specific to the tooth.
- Toothpaste should be fluoride-free.
- Parents should ensure proper cleaning, twice a day. Washing teeth in the evening, even before going to bed, is a problem for many parents, but if the child has learned this habit, washing and spraying, it will be for the rest of his life.
- The first step in preventing possible dental problems is a specialist consultation, followed by hygiene, fluoridation, remineralization and filling of dentures and teeth.Applied to temporary and permanent teeth, they prevent the formation of new caries and reduce pain from thermal stimuli.
Doctor Dumitru Sirbu, together with a whole team of regular doctors - Daniel Sirbu , Mihai Coada и Adrian Badarau together with an orthodontist Alina Mighic they also launched a campaign to promote healthy dental care in children called "Dentist friend of the child". They were aimed at establishing direct contact and informing young patients about proper hygiene and the need to prevent dental diseases (caries, pulpitis, periodontitis, stomatitis, etc.) And various other diseases caused by them, as well as communicate with them to reduce fear of the dentist.